Thursday, April 12, 2012

Recollections of a scattered childhood

People don't stay at one place or with same group of people their entire lives. For the same reasons,having only brief fleeting memories of parts of our childhood is quite common these days.

I have been trying to stitch together such patches of memories so that I get a fuller picture of my past. About many of the younger years, at least my parents, brother or other relatives would have recollections of events and people.

But what about those experiences where I was the sole witness or rather the first person involved? No one other than me can put those stories and images together.

My schooling years are the really scattered parts of my life about which I have some faint memories. I did my schooling in four schools, err five to be precise.

-- The only memories I have about my LKG was that I was taught Malayalam then. It was a christian missionary school near to where our family still resides. Hence the images and stories are quite solid, though I don't have anything special to recall.

-- My second school was K.V. Port Trust. My brother was in another KV at that time. I did my 1st standard alone in this school. I remember the excitement of watching the airplanes land and takeoff near the classrooms, and some bullies. Everything else is a blur. Never visited that complex again. Beautiful it was. I began my timid life there.

-- Then I got admission to K.V. 2 Naval Base where my brother already was studying. This turned out to be a longer association. Lots of good friends, with many of whom I still maintain contact. Lots of normal, good memories and references to validate them. Again just that some contacts were lost as I again moved out. Been back to the school after college days just to re-instigate the memories of those days and recall friends.

-- Moved to K.V.1. Harni Baroda in 1998 for a very short period of time. My 6th standard was split between three schools. Academics were shot to smithereens. I developed the skills to master languages and understand cultures. Officially became fat :). But this period is the least remembered part of my schooling.Except a few partial names and faces, I don't recall anything or anybody. No contact with anyone there. Those days are at a stage of possibly getting erased forever from my memory. Been trying to get hold of atleast someone who can help me put together the picture there. Only the life outside the school is well held in memory as my family was part of it too :)

-- Moved to K.V. Ernakulam. This one has a straight continuation into present life as all people, events are close by and in contact. 6th to 12th. The final touch.

I guess nowadays most of the people have such patterns in life or even worse as I have seen w.r.t kids of Govt employees who get frequently transferred across the country. They turn out to be rich in lots of unique skills and attitudes too :-) as a result of the pain of not having permanent long standing friends, and deep ties to any place or person.

I was just taking a stroll down the memory lane when I realized I might have enough content to jot down.


1 comment:

  1. same here dude, 5 schools for me too...I firmly believe tat it was a blessing in disguise :)

    ReplyDelete