Sunday, August 15, 2010

Imagination and Artists

This is a wonderful line I came upon a few minutes back as I was reading the Author's Note of the Man Booker Prize winner 'Life of Pi' by Yann Martel.


"If we,citizens,do not support our artists, then we sacrifice our imagination on the altar of crude reality and we end up believing in nothing and having worthless dreams"


I am literally hanging onto to the meaning of each word of this sentence, dreaming about the implications of this statement.


Please let me know if you avid readers of many literary works have such mind blowing ideas conveyed through words.

2 comments:

  1. I don't see why I have to support them... My imagination is awesome to me. Books - to some extent have helped. But art in the sense of paintings and sculpture have only looked weird and pointless to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Artists are not just the painters and sculptors, but also those involved with acting, literature and music, dance etc. We are also artists by virtue of what we are doing with our imagination, rather than just scientific judgements.

    ReplyDelete