After moving to Mysore last July, I have been travelling extensively and visiting places of importance. I am trying to record my experiences and views of these journeys. It will not be easily expressed in a couple of articles. I intend to write on chosen locations and stories separately if time permits.
Following is the list of places I have visited which are worth mentioning:-
1) Mysore Ambavilas Palace ( commonly known just as the 'Mysore Palace') - in & out. Awaiting the special visit into restricted rooms.
2) Chamundi Hills - The adobe of the guardian goddess of the City of Palaces,Mysooru. Climb the steps for maximum pleasure.
3) KRS Backwaters - Blue Lagoons : A beautiful location ideal for couples and friends. But dangerous route after dark
4) KRS Backwaters - Venugopalaswamy Temple : Another beautiful location in Mysore-Mandya border where a submerged 12th century temple is being reconstructed on the shore.
5) Melukote - A group of small hills having a vaishanava temple of Tamil origins. It is on the way to Pandavapura from Mysore. The view from the hills while the wind blows is just superb. It also has a cave temple where Lord SriRama's footprints are believed to be imprinted.
6) Golden Temple - On the way to Madikeri in Kudagu(Coorg) district. A golden temple belonging to people of Tibetan origins.This is a must visit place.
7) Dubare - A river rafting location , again in Kudagu district. Had a lot of fun here.
8) Jog Falls - If you are in Karnataka and haven't seen the Jog, you are suffering a big loss. Won my heart by its sheer magnificence and ferocity (even without much water) .
9)Kodachadri - Again one of my dearest trekking spot. Got a chance to conquer it after years of yearning. Definitely still in my wish-to-go-now places. Nature of climb can vary from moderate to difficult based on route you choose. There are tonnes of beautiful spots, falls and religious locations here itself.
10) Murudeshwara - A temple cum beach location consisting of a gigantic statue of Lord Shiva (2nd tallest in the world) and picturesque boating and beach facilities.
11) Apsarakonda - A great location unknown until visited. Has a super cool jetting waterfall, which flows through a walkable stream to a great open but deceivingly deep beach. Has a hillock to trek too. Good place for all kinds of people to spend.
12) Kali ghati - I believe this is the name. The hillock near Srirangapatna/Pandavapura. Awesome view from atop. Climb is of moderate difficulty.
13) Gopalswamy Hills - A local favourite. Great view, cool climate, lots of greenery to roam around and get lost too. Plus a wildlife sanctuary where we were lucky to sight an adult tiger out in the open.
14) Ranganathittu - The famous bird sanctuary. Visit during Jan-June to see exotic birds and otherwise you can see lots of crocs while you enjoy the boating.
There are many more places coming to my mind at this point of time. But I am ending this article here. Will add URLs to above mentioned spots , if available, and nice images too. Now i am too sleepy.
PS: I haven't mentioned the countless temples on the way or situated on most of the above mentioned locations. Temples are plenty in K'taka. If you love visiting temples, see wikipedia entry for Hindu temples in Karnataka.
Overall, Karnataka provides you a plethora of locations to visit, be it natural beauties, monuments, temples or something else. Also, if you are a wildlife enthuasiast/ photographer, you will find yourself stretched , trying to visit all the beautiful places in the beautiful state of Karnataka.